Today’s post is an update of sorts, about my hair. A few months ago, i posted about a new shampoo and some biotin pills i was taking, that were having a positive effect on me.
Since then, I’ve made even further changes to my hair care regime. Our eyebrow lady is in process of opening her salon and has a lot of cosmetology experience. She’s been working on my hair for a large portion of this year. She was the one who had given me the keratin shampoo i was using, as discussed in my earlier post.
However, in August/September time, after we had taken a few months off of my hair treatment, we resumed. This time, the treatments are going on for longer period of time. Let me break down what the new deal is with my hair:
- I’ve now begun to use a different type of matrix shampoo. My hair lady said that after the keratin shampoo, this one will help with the current dryness i have in my hair. Dryness is the biggest issue with my hair btw, so i’ve been using this for the past two months almost.I’m not 100% sure i love the shampoo. It’s definitely not BAD, but its also not FANTASTIC. I’m giving it time and hoping that it will help my hair as time goes on. This same lady who suggested i use this, believes that the shampoo is working pretty well for me so far.
- The treatment she is using on me is oil based treatments. On a weekly basis i have to use these small vials of oil in my hair. They are, as the name suggests, dry scalp treatments. I’ve never heard of these until she used them on my hair, but i can’t say i’ve had any bad experience with them thus far.
- One day a month, i go to my hair lady and she puts this oil on my hair. ON TOP OF THAT, she puts a hair mask. I’m not totally sure what the mask is made of (she’s told me, but my memory…lol) it’s i think, honey and avacado and some other things. It’s a thick white mask she applies directly on top of the oil. We let it sit for awhile, then wash it out. Then weekly, at home, i use one vial of this oil on my head, and shower it off–like usual oiling.
- I was eating my biotin pills almost daily, as i mentioned in the last hair post, however recently (As of this week actually) i have began a new herbal medicine, Cosmedix. My dad gave this to me to try, this vitamin tablet is packed with more than just biotin. It’s supposed to support womens health as a whole,and especially growth of hair, skin & nails. I’m hoping it will help my hair growth. Since its natural/herbal medicine, it doesn’t have side effects.Too early to say now, but will keep you updated as i continue to take it.
So that’s been my regime these days. The good things we are seeing from this treatment and shampoo:
-More shine in my hair, especially top half
-The top half of my hair is nice and thick, and we are seeing hair growth
-There seems to be a reduction in dandruff and head pimples in my scalp
Unfortunately, the ends of my hair, are starting to die again. That reason is something we are all unable to really figure out. And this sole reason, makes me dislike my hair immensely. I’m not sure WHAT to do to fix the dead ends, split ends, and the death of my hair especially the last few inches of it.
Here’s a few pics of what my hair looks like dry, if i brush it out, and wet when i brush it out after shower, sorry for the quality, best i could do:
As i mentioned in the previous hair post, in March i cut my hair 6 INCHES! And since then, i have not cut my hair at all. However, now with it starting to die at the end, and becoming really tangly when i brush after showering, my hair lady is suggesting to cut/trim hair again.
I was putting it off for weeks, but this week i was fed up and decided to just go for it. I decided to cut my hair, but not 6 inches this time. Only 2 inches, however i got layers. I haven’t had layers in my hair for quite some time…years ago. So i’m a bit nervous of how this will grow out. Everyone’s loving it though, and my hair stylist was happy with her work and she & my mom think my hair has more volume and life to it now.
Let’s hope it lasts this way for awhile! Here’s a few (sorry for not the best) pics of how it looks now.
SO that is the latest on my hair. I’m going to truly try my hardest to oil it more from now on, to see if that helps! I’ll continue with all the earlier things i’ve mentioned, and I hope this helps as it did back in march, at least for a few months and during duration of my hair treatments.
If anyone has ANY suggestions at all about how to help dry and damaged hair, PLEASE let me know!
Don’t forget to follow me on instagram to stay up to date on the blog.
Also, i’d love to hear from you! Check out how you can contribute to Sprinkle of Surprise by clicking here.
I used to have dry and damaged hair! Argan oil worked miracles!!! Also, I’ve been using the Joico moisture recovery shampoo and conditioner for about a month now and my hair feels so smooth and silky. Some other tips, don’t wash your hair too often (dry shampoo is my best friend) and drink TONS of water!
Did you just take argan oil and oil your hair with it? I have some argan oil, but never have used it too much! And how often is too often? Lol i wash my hair every 2 days usually….and yes i’m trying to drink as much water as possible!
After I wash my hair, I let it air dry and then I apply argan oil (my favourite is the moroccan oil brand) to the ends and whatever is left on my hands I apply at the top. Two days is too much for me (I’m really lazy about washing my hair lol). It depends on the general oiliness of your scalp, but I say try to prolong it as long as possible. I usually wash about twice a week. Also, for a deep condition, massage coconut oil into your hair, from root to tip. Then leave it in for about 20 minutes before you wash. Your hair will feel so moisturized afterwards 🙂
do you let it air dry COMPLETELY or just like medium dry hair? lol i would wash my hair less often, but by the 3rd day its pretty oily and i feel soo self conscious so i have to wash it! and yeah i have oiled my hair before with coconut oil, i just don’t do it often enough, i guess i’m going to have to start oiling regularly, everyone says it helps!
I let it dry for about 80%! And whenever it looks frizzy I use the moroccan oil 🙂
Thanks for all the tips! Will implement them myself and see if they work! In a few months, i’ll do another updated hair care post 🙂
Your hair looks amazing now girl! You should try put coconut oil once every week – I find this works amazing on dry hair !I have some DIY tip on my blog if you want to have a read 🙂
Yes, everyone is suggesting the oiling every week, i’ll have to get into habit of doing that for sure! i’ll def have a read! thanks! 🙂
I hope the meds and treatment works for you! Do keep us posted! 🙂
I already see some beautiful tresses there!
It’s great that the top half is doing well, that’s new growth which is a good sign. Dry ends is always going to be a problem for many including myself.
– Travelling in 30-40 degree heat did nothing for my hair other than fry it, so after cutting more than 7-8inches off too i’m now also using this shampoo, which has brought a lot of moisture back to my hair. I recommend using Mane-n-tail; it’s really cheap and basically a shampoo initially designed for horses. If you’ve never heard of it, you may laugh thinking that’s horse shampoo, and it is, but it’s filled with a lot of proteins which brings the moisture back to the hair. It’s also super cheap so your not breaking the bank. I would suggest you try this, as currently my hairs doing really well. You can buy it from Amazon or the local Indian shops (where i buy mine).
– I read that you wash your hair every 2 days- is that really necessary? I would only suggest you wash it when it needs to be washed. I can go 4-5 days without washing it. You have to remember, a lot of the shampoos we use contain chemicals that strip away at the skin especially those designed for itchy scalps etc. If you wash it too much, you could be stripping the hair of the oils is already has.
– Also agree, dry shampoo works wonders giving you those extra days.
– I used to do the typical Indian thing of leaving oil in your hair overnight, but even i’m unsure if this works now. My routine now is wash hair with Mane-n-tail and use a moroccan oil on the lengths, not the top.
– I would also be cautious taking a supplement containing biotin, because although it is good for hair, too much can have a few side affects.
Thanks for such a great response!
-LOL i’ve never heard of using horse shampoo, but i’ll def have to look into it!
-I want to go longer days without washing, but i feel like my hair just gets too oily and i feel self conscious! What dry shampoo do you use? I’ve never used one before, so i have no clue how to even use it!
-Yeah, i rarely really oil my hair, but i do feel it helps when i do, so i’m just going to try to do it over the weekends/when i can and see if it helps overall hair health!
Aweee no probs!
I would definitely recommend using Mane-n-tail as so many people have seen such good results, and it’s so cheap! I was going to use a salon recommended brand, but that was around £20 a bottle; I thought let me give this a try first. I much prefer using Mane-n-tail, and so far everyone that’s used it based on my recommendation has seen good results.
I can understand you feeling self-conscious about greasy locks, but maybe just try using dry shampoo to give you that extra day then wash it the next day. I use a brand called Batiste- it’s really popular in the UK. I remember needing dry shampoo in NY and I brought one called Pssst (lol, the names funny), and this one was good too. If your a first time user when you spray it in, you will see that your hair develops a grey tinge, so make sure you brush it into your hair to remove the white/grey tinge.
Keep on doing the oil, as it doesn’t harm the hair in any way.
Let me know if you use mane-n-tail and if it works! 🙂
Ok i will for sure look into mane n tail! Does it have a funky smell or anything? Since its horse shampoo, i’m thinking it might stink lol!
Lol i’ll look into Pssst, and google some other good dry shampoos! Hopefully they work for me!
Thanks so much! And i def will ! 🙂
No lol, the shampoo doesn’t smell at all. Have a try, no harm.
You’re welcome! 🙂
Which biotin pills are you taking?