Hair straightening – can be so annoying not to mention damaging, to your hair. When I was younger (middle school years), I straightened my hair every time I showered. Every time. Fast forward to years later, that damage has taken a toll on my hair, as I’ve discussed in previous hair care posts, my hair is pretty dry and doesn’t grow past a certain length.
Anyways, this post is not about my hair problems! It’s more of a solution for those of us who don’t want to straighten often, but have frizzy or wavy hair naturally, and wan to tame it down without taking the life out of it!
Enter: Hair Straightening Brushes. I’ve seen these products around in the last few years but never really thought to buy it until now. I have so many family weddings in the later half of this year, and I need to travel smart with my beauty gear. So I knew that now was the time to get this and see if it would be perfect for travelling!
Now how does one decide on which brush to get? There are so many on the market (of course), so I just googled and read a lot of Amazon reviews to decide. The Apalus Hair Straightening Brush was a popular choice with good ratings, and most importantly: affordable, so I decided to give it a go! It comes in a black or pink, guess which one I went with? Obviously black. I love dark colors!
Here’s my experience with it….
- Sleek packaging, comes with a travel sized bag as well (huge win for me!) and the brush is exactly like pictured. Easy to hold and use.
- Heats up to 450, takes a few minutes to get there and cools down fast as well
- First use – I didn’t really like it. Because I thought I could use it on lower heat (300s range) and my hair would be perfect. WRONG! I need to use it at the full heat of 450 to get this to work. Just like my straightener. I should’ve known!
- The brush is easy to brush through the hair, not at all uncomfortable or pinching in anyway
- I section my hair as if I’m going to straighten it, and I brush through each section about 3 times to get my hair to where I want
- This does NOT give you pin straight hair – that should be obvious. It gives you a much more natural look and eliminates frizz
- For me, it tames my hair down for sure and makes it much easier for me to style it
- I’ve used it a handful of times so far, and so far so good!
The only negative thing about it for me, is that the brush seems to make me loose hair the same amount that I do when I straighten. Like a lot of hair falls out – but I think that is more of a personal hair problem that I’ve mentioned, which is the same with all heat products for me.
I’m limiting my use with this brush as well, but it definitely saves me the hassle and time of straightening. I can use this brush on my whole head in 15-20 mins max, and achieve the look I want!
Overall, I think it’s worth it for what I was looking for!
Left – hair after using straightener brush for 10-12 minutes. Middle-Natural hair after shower. Right – hair next day after styling.
If anyone has used this brush or any other heat hair straightening brushes – let me know what your experience has been!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up to date on the blog happenings!
Until next time, XOX